Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Black Man’s Question

The Black Man’s Question

Like the ignorant man I am
I really have to ask:
if the color white is a virtue
why don’t you whiten me?

It’s no insult to be Black,
don’t let it give you the blues,
even society ladies
wear their shiny black shoes…
and beautiful long black hair.
Let anyone here explain,
my question is very fair.
I really have to ask
like the ignorant man I am.

I ask without hesitation,
it’s something I don’t understand:
when the Lord who made us all
mixed His water and sand,
what color clay did He use
to give father Adam shape?
And if you want to shut me up
first answer—I’ll shut my traip.
Like the ignorant man I am
I really have to ask.

I ask (because I want to)
if being black is a crime.
I’ve never seen white letters
since the beginning of time
Christ’s holy cross was black,
that’s where our savior died,
and Mother Mary wore black
when Her Son Jesus died.
I really have to ask
if the color white is a virtue

The black man with his blackness
and the white man with his white,
all of us come to our end
in the tomb as black as night.
Then, the beautify of white ladies
will end from pole to pole,
and the critic will be finished
and the man as black as coal
If the color white is a virtues,
why don’t you whiten me?

--Juan Garcia, Ecuador
(IAF GRANTEE)

Symposium on Behavioral Approaches to Bureaucratic Red Tape and Administrative Burden

CALL FOR PAPERS Public Administration Review Symposium Editors: Christopher Carrigan, The George Washington Universit...